Monday, March 17, 2014

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

Shu Lien says, "Promise me one thing: whatever path you take in life, be true to yourself" to Jen. Shu Lien means that Jen should not change for anyone and to follow her heart. I think the main reason why Shu Lien says this is because of her hidden love with Li Mu Bai. I believe that Shu Lien regrets not telling Li Mu Bai how she really feels and she doesn't want Jen to feel the same way with Lo. Another underlying reason why Shu Lien says this to Jen is because I don't think Jen really wants to be a "full-time" warrior and I think Shu Lien saw that in her, especially after seeing the connection between Jen and Lo. I think this is addressed in the beginning in the conversation between Jen and Shu Lien when Jen is asking a lot of questions about Shu Lien's lifestyle. I think Jen just wants to be free from her arranged marriage and her parents but not be free like Shu Lien. Shu Lien is telling Jen to do what she wants and to not do what other people want and I think this includes Jade Fox. Even though we don't see much interaction between Jade Fox and Jen, I think Jade Fox made Jen keep up with fighting because she wanted her to not because Jen wanted to. I think Jen does do this because when she jumps off the waterfall after Lo making a wish for them to be together in the desert, she knows it will come true because of the story told earlier in the movie. The wish does not have to do with fighting and it does not have to do with going back home. I don't think she would have jumped for a wish that she didn't want to come true. In the end, I think Jen took Shu Lien's advice of being true to yourself and not doing anything because of someone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment