Wednesday, March 19, 2014

An Abundance of Katherine's #1

I am only about 8 chapters in of An Abundance of Katherine's by John Green and the beginning was a little hard to understand. The plot jumps back and forth between Colin's past break-ups and the "real time" of the novel. A lot of the flashbacks about the break up with one of the many Katherine's tells us about his relationship with her and how devastated he was when they broke up. What made me confused was some of the transitions between the flashbacks and what was actually happening and especially at the beginning when I just started reading. However, now getting into the plot of things, it is easier to tell what parts Colin is reflecting on and what situations Colin is actually in. I think John Green might have done this confusion on purpose so you just learn about Colin as a character and not focus on what is happening. For example, if there were no flashbacks in the beginning, we wouldn't know that he has dated so many Katherine's and we would not know why he started the book being so upset. At first it was very confusing, but continuing reading helped. However, I do like the flashbacks because they provide information that Colin wouldn't provide himself. I also am finding that Looking For Alaska and An Abundance of Katherine's both by John Green have some similarities. They both have a boy who is average, kind of dorky, falling for girls that are out of his league. Hopefully, John Green does not take me on another emotional roller coaster with An Abundance of Katherine's. I like that with John Green's books, you can tell that he is the author. The plots are similar, but the style is also similar. In Looking For Alaska, the sections, or chapters, were broken up by number of days before or number of days after Alaska's death. In An Abundance of Katherine's, the chapters are legit chapters, but within them, they have subsections that seem to be counting down to something as well but I do not know what that is yet. I have a bad feeling that Colin is going to get heartbroken again and something sad is going to happen at the end of that countdown. I am very interested in what will happen with Colin's adventure out of his home town and with a new girl who is not named Katherine. But I am also apprehensive to read because I am afraid of what might happen to Colin.

No comments:

Post a Comment