Thursday, December 12, 2013

Looking For Alaska Blog #1

"Looking For Alaska" by John Green is one of the best books I have ever read. It was written so well and kept me interested the entire time even though there was no really set plot. However, there was one plot change that I expected was coming but I never thought what happened was going to happen. Instead of chapters, different sections are "this many days before.." And there is a section of what happened that day and so on. So when I got to sections that were two and three days before, I knew something was coming that was going to change the entire plot. This plot twist actually caught me off guard because I never expected something so extreme to happen to such a big character in the book. I was actually in class reading when I came apart this part and I actually said "you've got to be kidding me, no, no way this can happen." I almost felt a connection to the people in the novel and my heart hurt for them when they heard about the passing of Alaska. I think that if I were in a different setting reading this part, and not at school, I would have cried. And I don't cry at many books or movies but I felt the tears in my eyes ready to burst. John Green did such a good job of setting this plot twist up so you knew it was coming but didn't expect the extremity of what will happen. I couldn't put the book down once I got started. And without this plot twist, the story would just continue of their stupid pranks and drinking milk and vodka in their bedroom. But the plot twist changed everything, you could just tell by  the style Green was writing in.  Before the death of Alaska, the writing was very detailed and descriptive. And after the death, it was still detailed and descriptive but in a very sad way. I felt as if the characters were writing this book together and saying what they actually thought and didn't hide any emotions. This plot twist is what changed this ordinary book to an extraordinary book. "Looking For Alaska" actually made me realize I miss reading good books and with an author like John Green, it's worth getting back into it.

No comments:

Post a Comment