Friday, October 18, 2013

Change of Heart #3 Q1

Jodi Picoult, as an author, has very unique stylistic devices within her novels. She tells the story from multiple characters and each chapter is usually a different character. However, this does keep the story moving and gets a lot of different opinions from the different characters. In Change of Heart, the chapters alternate characters including Shay Bourne, Father Michael, June Nealon, Lucius, who is an inmate on Shay's floor, and Maggie, who is Shay's lawyer. The chapters are usually relatively short and the characters usually have similar amounts of chapters. I like this style of writing because it keeps things moving instead of having one chapter drag out to the point where you lose track of what is going on. I also like this technique because it interests me that Jodi Picoult makes so many different personalities in her books, but you get to meet most of them and really read what they feel about what is going on. I do not remember reading any other books that use the same technique of the chapters being told by different points of view. This device makes Jodi Picoult stand out and makes me want to read more of her books.
 Another device that Jodi Picoult uses in her book is the type of diction she writes in. The story is easy to understand but it is not "dumbed down" to any extent. Change of Heart talks about true details, for example, of living in a prison or dealing with a child who has to have heart surgery. I am not very good at vocabulary but I understood the text very well. And usually if a word that I didn't know was in a sentence, it was easy enough to figure out what it meant because of the context. I think the type of diction used says a lot about a style of writing and also the author. I have read a couple of Jodi Picoult's books and have not had trouble getting through any of them. The way she writes actually makes me want to read more because it is an easy read. The style of Change of Heart really made it easy for me to keep up with the plot of the book and kept me interested because it did not bore me. I think that without the different characters telling the story, the plot line would not be the same and it would be very hard to keep up with. Jodi Picoult really does a good job with the chapter types and the type of diction she uses.

No comments:

Post a Comment